Wednesday 29 January 2014

Time flys when you are having fun!

So believe it or not but I am now over half way through my exchange. And I'm really not sure how I feel about it. Of course it will be awesome to see everyone back home but back home won't be the same now that all the friends who I was once in the same corridor with have been scattered about the countryside! And of course I will miss Norway terribly too. The hardest bit is knowing that I can't just fly the 40 hours back whenever I feel like it... That was something I never thought about when choosing somewhere on the other side of the earth! I always remember thinking before I left about how cool it would be to fast forward time for a minute or two and see what my life in Norway would really be like. And I had masses of unique questions that weren't the kind you could just google or ask another afser. I guess that is what excitement is, really. Anyway I am going to try and remember what these questions were and answer them here!

Q: What will school be like?
It's super hard and very different. I have got to the point in classes where I can understand the topic that is being taught but I am not good enough at writing to be able to do the assignments or tests which is incredibly frustrating. School is far more casual here also, more similar to a kiwi university than a kiwi highschool. People just come and go depending on when their classes are. This makes it pretty difficult for an exchange student and I would say it is the most challanging part of my exchange. I guess it helps prepare me for the real world but I also found out I had expectations that I didn't even realise!

Q: What will my host family be like?
Obviously, different. Coming from a only child boarding school type scenario suddenly living in a family again takes a wee bit of adjusting. But it is incredibly fun and I get along with everyone really well.

Q: Will there be heaps of snow? How cold will it get? What will the skiing be like?
In terms of snow I am feeling a little hard done by. This year is the warmest they have ever had. I didn't get a white christmas but I'm going to be back for that! Last year on christmas eve it was -20 this year it was around +5. The coldest I have been in since I am here is -17 but I am told that is nothing. Still, I had to take a picture of the thermometer.
The skiing is not at all like the snow farm. Because of the lack of snow this year the only track which has snow is a short 5km loop. So of course everyone from top athletes to mum, dad, 3 toddlers and the dog is there. It makes for a cosy ski.

Q: How long will it take me to learn the language?
I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with my level of language, you can ALWAYS know more. But this has been one of the hardest things for me, before coming to Norway I had never heard norwegian spoken and only briefly practiced learning colours on an app on my phone. It takes a long time and it is easy to feel discouraged!
I feel ok about the language now. It is one of those things that you get out what you put in but I remember when I had been here for two months and someone said to me that if you get so carried away with the language that you stop enjoying yourself then you need to re think your priorities. There has never been a truer word spoken!

Q: What will I miss the most?
Jimmies and apples and tomato's that aren't fluffy. Going to the beach and just seeing the sea meet the sky. Tolcarne. Oh and Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment